I mean I can’t say that it was a really awesome year because hey, the pandemic has taken a toll on all of us (mental health, relationships, business among others) and it’s not really easy for a travel bug like me to be oftentimes stuck at home because of travel restrictions during the lockdown.
On the other hand though, I am extremely grateful because to date, I am able to remain healthy and genuinely happy in my space and I am still blessed with a whole lot of opportunities to grow both on a personal and professional note. Taking these in consideration, I would say that 2021 was not that bad either.
Candidly speaking after seeing the big picture both ways, I totally believe that it taught me a whole lot of important life lessons which I need to take to heart as the new year approaches. I think they will all be quite useful as I (and you guys reading this) make our new year’s resolutions.
Allow me to share with you the 21 life lessons I learned in 2021 as we welcome the new year ahead:
- No matter what happens around me that is beyond my control, I can always choose how to react towards each.
- Tragedies and desperate situations bring out the best and worst in people. However, please take note that whatever comes out, is still a matter of choice.
- At times, pausing with one’s routine can make way for bigger progress , rather than forcing yourself into it.
- No matter how good you are or how pure your intentions are, there will always be people who will mock you and try to pull you down. Don’t ever let them dim your light. That’s how they react when blinded by their own pains and insecurities.
- Your personal pains and problems do not grant you the right to hurt other people just because you experienced the same before. That’s revenging on the innocent.
- Doing one small thing that leads you closer to your goals will always be better than just planning for bigger ones.
- You are free to celebrate yourself, your wins and your milestones, regardless of how people may react towards them. It’s all about you and they’re merely spectators to your growth. Consider it not as arrogance on your end but rather jealousy from theirs, as long as your intentions are clear.
- People will want to invest in you as much as you invest on yourself, your well-being and your growth.
- It’s not your environment or the situation you’re in that limits your growth; it’s your mindset and heart set.
- You don’t owe anyone any explanation each and every time you walk away from a toxic relationship or a space that does not bring out the best in you.
- You cannot blame others for situations you have caused yourself.
- There are no right or wrong decisions as long as you take responsibility for them because either way, you learn when you make yourself accountable.
- Never let money (or your issues about it) taint your reputation because it’s priceless to begin with.
- Admitting you’re not ok is one thing; doing something about it is another. It’s all about reaching out to the right people with full vulnerability and humility. You owe that to yourself.
- 3P’s that determine your progress during trying times: Patience, perseverance and passion.
- You spend the same amount of effort in worrying and acting on things: the first one gives you more problems to resolve, the second one, a solution to what you were complaining about.
- Keeping your word allows you to keep your integrity and credibility intact.
- Always be open about how you feel. You may not have that opportunity to share what’s inside the next time around.
- If you really want something, you will do anything and everything to make it happen. Your excuses represent your level of interest.
- Everything else becomes a little more difficult when you’re not healthy so treat your health and well-being more importantly
- Today is the best time to try. Tomorrow is the perfect excuse to try harder again if needed.
So there you go, I hope these life lessons help you in your personal journey towards becoming your own #bestmeever this coming 2022.
I look forward to journeying with you all and celebrating you and your growth along the way.
Thank you 2021 for the life lessons.